Belle, a beauty in the village of Provincial Town in Faraway Land, is a bookworm - when she’s not sharing her passion by reading to underprivileged urchins, she’s discovering fantastic new worlds before bedtime.
The Beast (or Prince Adam, as he was once called) has been cursed by Evil Witch Snarglefargus for his beastly manner. He needs to find love and have that love returned (and soon!) or he will stay in his overly large, furry form for all time. This is the story of how these two social outcasts find each other and how they discover something in each other they didn’t even know existed themselves...
...but can they learn to love one another before the beast’s time runs out? We shall see…
Oh yeah! There’s also a dashing jackass, a mad-inventor dame, a horse, furniture that speaks, and an enchanted rose!
Cast List & Requirements
- - Minimum age - must be in grade 7 in September
- - Cold Read Auditions - sides will be provided at the audition
- - Auditions will require a voice audition (Happy Birthday or Oh Canada)
- - Auditions are open to ALL, preference given to current SMP Dramatic Society members
- Belle - 150 lines (F) (age 15-35) - Our heroine. A book smart gal that's no wallflower. Belle is smart, independent, and feisty. She loves to learn and doesn't care what others think of her. Physical appearance does not impress her, she only cares about a person's character. She would do anything for her mother, except perhaps marry Gaston.
- Beast/Prince Adam - 100 lines (F) (age 18+) – The Beast is a proud man and is miserable about his physical appearance. He has decided to act like a beast since that is all society sees when they look at him. In reality, he is an intellectual and an introvert. He likes to learn and is quite sweet, when you get to know him.
- Gaston - 100 lines (M) (age 18+) – A misogynistic jackass. Gaston believes he is God’s gift to women. He has a very hard time comprehending rejection by a woman. He is very proud and secretly quite sensitive. When his pride is injured, he usually acts on his hurt feelings with aggression. He is brutish and unintelligent. He always thinks he knows best and demands respect from others without earning it.
- Maude Boggins-Bozon - 200 lines (M) (age 35+)– Our dame. Belle’s mother and the mad inventor of the village. Maude is flamboyant, confident, and oblivious. She is highly knowledgeable of all things science, but does not pick up well on social cues. She is very in tune with her sexuality, and is not afraid to go after what she wants. She is also fiercely protective of Belle and will do anything to help her.
- Jean-Claude & Pierre - 50 lines each (M or F, x 2) (any age) – The comic duo and Gaston’s cronies. JC and Pierre are well-intentioned guys, but are usually too weak-minded to think or act for themselves. They follow Gaston out of fear, not friendship. They do find happiness in each other’s company and bond quickly with the audience. Given the opportunity, and a push in the right direction, these two would do the right thing.
- Good Witch Daphne - 50 lines (F) (any age)– Wholesome fairy that battles the Evil Witch Snarglefargus. Daphne is as good as they come. She is sweeter than maple syrup and shocked that evil can exist in the world. She is like the fairy godmother of our cast, helping unseen from the wings. The only time she borders on any feelings that could be considered mean is when she finds joy in Snarglefargus’s failings.
- Evil Witch Snarglefargus - 75 lines (F) (any age)– She’s evil and she is why everything bad happens. SF is bitter about her lack of good looks and takes out this unhappiness by trying to ruin the lives of those around her. She finds pleasure in the misery of others. She is cunning, manipulative, and magical.
- Lumiere - 50 lines (M) (any age)– Footman to the beast and our narrator; he is a candlestick. Lumiere speaks with a poor French accent and is romantic in a stereotypically French way. He cares for the Beast because he knows that deep down, he is a good person. Lumiere is jovial, easy going, and loyal. He connects well with the audience and keeps everyone in the castle happy.
- Cogsworth - 25 lines (M) (age 20+)– Butler to the beast; he is a grandfather clock. He is old fashioned. He likes tradition and routines and is not comfortable with change. He is a secret romantic at heart, but usually comes across as pragmatic. He is closest with Mrs Potts.
- Mrs. Potts - 25 lines (F) (age 20+)– Cook to the beast; she is a teapot. She is a bustling, loving, mother figure to everyone in the castle. She always looks on the bright side, and cares deeply for all those around her. She can come across as frazzled, but it is just because she is trying to take care of everything at once.
- Chip - 10 lines (F or M) (youth age)– Mrs. Potts son; he is a cup. Chip is young and immature. He does not remember life in the castle before he was a cup. He loves to have fun and often gets into trouble inadvertently. He is scared of the Beast, so mostly stays out of his way. He looks up to Lumiere and loves to play pranks with him.
- Cloppy - (F or M, x 2) (any age) – The Panto Horse. Cloppy is Maude’s right hand man. He does not speak. He always looks out for her and Belle. He does not mind being a part of a joke at Maude’s expense.
- Chorus (Villagers / Wolves / Trees and Bushes / Castle Furniture) - (F or M, x 7-10) (any age) - a variety of speaking and non-speaking roles. Most chorus members will play multiple parts.
- Monday Aug 29 - Script read through
- (No rehearsal Labour Day)
- Monday Sept 12 - First rehearsal, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
- Wednesday Sept 19
- Wednesday Sept 21 – Music, 7-9pm
- Monday Sept 26
- Monday Oct 3
- (No rehearsal Thanksgiving)
- Wednesday Oct 12 - Music
- Monday Oct 17
- Monday Oct 24
- Monday Oct 31
- Wednesday Nov 2 - Music
- Monday Nov 7
- Monday Nov 14
- Monday Nov 21
- Wednesday Nov 23 - Music (if necessary)
- Monday Nov 28
- Monday Dec 5
- Saturday Dec 10 - stage up
- Sunday Dec 11 – Tech Rehearsal 1 – costumes and lighting
- Monday Dec 12
- Monday Dec 19
- (Christmas Break)
- Wednesday Jan 4
- Saturday Jan 7 and/or Sunday Jan 8 – Tech Rehearsal 2 – costumes/make up parade
- Monday Jan 9 - Rehearsal
- Tuesday Jan 10 - Rehearsal
- Wednesday Jan 11 - Dress Rehearsal
- Thursday Jan 12 - Opening Night performance
- Friday Jan 13 - Evening performance
- Saturday Jan 14 - Matinee and Evening performances
- Thursday Jan 19 - Italian Run
- Friday Jan 20 - Evening performance
- Saturday Jan 21 - Matinee and Evening performances
- Thursday Jan 26 - Italian Run</li>
- Friday Jan 27 - Evening performance
- Saturday Jan 28 - Matinee and Evening performances (Final)
- Sunday Jan 29 - Stage down
Full Rehearsal & Performance Schedule
Cast members must commit to entire schedule to participate in the show.
SMP Dramatic Society
SMP is a community theatre group which operates out of St Martin's Parish Hall in North Vancouver, B.C., Canada. We produce a pantomime each January to spice up the post-holiday doldrums, a production put on by SMP members under the age of 17 (and mentored by more 'seasoned' members) in May, and other occasional comedy productions (Fawlty Towers in 2010, Little Grimley in 2014). We welcome new members who’d like to venture into theatre, whether on stage or as part of the production crews, and we strive always to have fun!